| Dismantling of North overbridge begins by eabhi200k on 11 January, 2013 - 08:00 AM | ||
|---|---|---|
eabhi200k | Dismantling of North overbridge begins on 11 January, 2013 - 08:00 AM | |
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) began dismantling the central portion of the Ernakulam North overbridge on Thursday.It will be rebuilt by November, becoming lanes two and three of the four-lane bridge which will have a total width of 21 metres. Lanes one and two were opened to traffic earlier this month. These lanes will become wider when they are integrated with the central lanes.“We plan to pull down the bridge’s central portion (the old bridge built in the 1960’s) in a month, following which work on rebuilding it will begin,” said the DMRC’s Kochi Project Director P. Sriram. The works include the construction of metro-rail pillars through its centre. The project cost of the four-lane bridge, 4.5-metre wide footpath and the metro pillars is Rs 70 crore.The old bridge’s demolition came as a surprise to motorists who thronged the arterial stretch as usual. This caused huge traffic snarls on either side and vehicles were diverted through alternative roads.“The snarl extended from Kaloor up to Palarivattom during morning peak hours,” said Joseph Thomas, a commuter in the stretch. This persisted all through the day, though to a lesser scale.The Assistant Commissioner of Police (Edapally Traffic) K. S. Baby Vinod said that the situation will improve once the DMRC commissions the Salim Rajan overbridge. | ||