Indian Railways News => Topic started by chotelal on Jun 30, 2013 - 18:01:00 PM


Title - State wants second round of talks on takeover of Havelock bridge
Posted by : chotelal on Jun 30, 2013 - 18:01:00 PM

The bridge connecting Rajahmundry and Kovvur, was constructed in 1897 with masonry piers and steel girders. It was abandoned in 1997 after a full 100 years


The State government has asked for a second round of discussions with the Railway Board over the proposed takeover of the landmark, Havelock bridge, across the Godavari in Rajahmundry.

Tourism project

The government wanted to take over the structure and land adjacent, on both sides and develop it as a tourism project under the public-private-partnership model.The 2,950-metre long bridge connecting Rajahmundry and Kovvur, was constructed in 1897 with masonry piers and steel girders and was a main link between Chennai and Howrah. It was abandoned in 1997 after a full 100 years.

When the decision was announced to dismantle it and sell the iron as scrap, there was resistance from the public who were against the Railway’s Board’s decision. However, when the government asked for the bridge and the adjoining land, the Railway Board wanted Rs.67 crore that primarily was the cost of the land, apart from the cost of the iron, at approximately Rs.15 crore, said General Manager-South Central Railway, D.P. Pande, here on Saturday. When the cost was cited, the government apparently showed its reluctance, but as of last week, he said there was an invitation for a second round of talks, ostensibly at reducing the cost of the transaction, he said.

Asked about the condition of the bridge and that it was a heritage structure, Mr. Pande quipped, “Exactly, it is a heritage, over a 100 years old and hence unsafe to allow vehicles on it, leave alone trains.”